Thursday, 8 September 2011

Chased by Puy Lentils

My consciousness has been stalked by Puy lentils.  Dark little slate coloured pebbles (as Nigella Lawson calls them).  I tasted them for the first time (unbelievable as that might sound) last week at a work luncheon where rocket, Puy lentils, coleslaw and parsley was served in little cups.  Emm....I like these I thought.

The very same week I bought a new food magazine from New Zealand called "Dish" - the Mediterranean issue (this issue also featured an article about Turkey by Leanne Kitchen - another link, but I will return to this article later) and as I flicked through the pages on the train home here they were again! Puy lentils. A nice little recipe for Roasted Eggplant (Aubergine) and Puy Lentil Soup, which I have noted as worth making.

But still there was more - whilst on the treadmill that night (my exercise regime during the winter months) I was watching an old dvd of Nigella's and blow me down if she didn't cook sausages and lentils - yes you guessed it Puy!

After all these signs Puy are on the top of my shopping list this weekend.

"Dish" offered some interesting Pantry Notes  -
Puy Lentils - these small slate-green lentils have a delicate blue marbling. Considered by many to be the best lentil because of their unique peppery taste and the fact they keep their shape during cooking. They are the only lentil to be identified by area of cultivation; grown in the Le Puy region in France.

1 comment:

  1. Oh - what have you been missing? I love puy lentils, and as mentioned in your post, they keep their shape so are perfect to have on the plate. I often cook these (although not all the family eat them!) to have with sausages, they are so easy to cook. I've never made soup with them, maybe because I usually use red lentils for soup (another easy recipe - a soup that virtually cooks itself). I have cooked the green lentils (larger than puy) and although they make a delicious soup, they are not as attractive as the red or puy. Let us know what you eventually make with them.

    ReplyDelete