Another big weekend in the garden, digging, raking leaves, potting up new chilli plants, a bit more pruning and shaping and by the time I had slipped off the garden shoes I was hungry so Sunday night dinner needed to be tantalising as well as nourishing and Pork Belly certainly hits the spot.
A “Woman’s Weekly” recipe no less, has become a favourite - Pork Belly and Plum Sauce. I have made this a couple of times now and have not been disappointed. The flavours work so well together.
Do not be put off by what seems like, loads of ingredients – believe me its well worth the effort. The cucumber salad on top seems a bit strange on first reading (especially if you are expecting traditional roast pork) but in actual fact is perfect.
If your pantry doesn’t house Chinese Wine a light sherry will do.
I have made this twice now and twice have forgotten to add the mint in the salad! This was due to the fact that I put off going into the garden to cut the mint and then it went right out of my mind. If you don’t like hot food leave the chilli out of the salad, but still put the flakes in the sauce. I didn’t have fresh plums but tinned worked just as well. I served this with couscous, but rice, polenta or potatoes would go equally well. The combination of flavours are delicious! Enjoy.
Prep time 20min cooking time 1hr 55mins- serves 4
800g bone pork belly, rind on
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup water
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 cup chinese cooking wine/sherry
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 cloves garlic sliced thinly
small piece ginger sliced thinly
1 cinnamon stick crushed
1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
1/3 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon fennel seeds ( I put in ground fennel, didn't have seeds)
4 plums either fresh or tinned.
1 small cucumber
1 long green chilli sliced thinly (optional)
2/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint (omit if you forget!)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 180deg
- With pork on board rind side up score rind diagonally rub with salt and oil into the cuts
- Combine water, stock, sauce, wine, sugar, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, chilli, juice, fennel in a large shallow baking dish. Place pork in dish rind side up, roast uncovered for 1 hr 20 min. Increase oven temp. to very hot (240) roast pork for further 15 mins uncovered or until crackling is crisp.
- Remove pork from dish, cover to keep warm. Strain liquid in baking dish into a med. saucepan. Bring to the boil, add plums, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 mins or until sauce thickens.
- Make salad and follow pack for couscous
- Serve thickly sliced pork with plum sauce and cucumber salad arranged on top.