I didn't have enough apples so I added a pear or two which worked out quite well really.
As the recipe was in imperial measurements I had to dig out my old scales that mum had bought me more that 35 years ago! I have lost the l oz weight so that made things a little tricky.
My oven is fan forced which I put on to warm while I put the ingredients together which took me longer than I thought so by the time the cake was ready to go in the oven was very hot!
Too hot in fact cos even though I turned it down to lower than the advised temperature it got a little scorched on the top only half way through the cooking time.
Goodness this was not going well.
I juggled the time to allow the centre to cook and covered the top with some greaseproof or baking paper to stop it burning completely.
Amazingly it turned out fine - not as good as my sister (she is a cake queen) but good enough to present to the table.
Served with homemade custard it was woofed down in no time!
Next time will be better.