Wednesday, 26 October 2011

Peggy's Apple Cake

 
 I eventually got around to making one of my mothers recipes that my sister revived and posted on L'heure du the click here for recipe -  I had a little series of mishaps none too terrible just a nuisance.

I didn't have enough apples so I added a pear or two which worked out quite well really.

As the recipe was in imperial measurements I had to dig out my old scales that mum had bought me more that 35 years ago! I have lost the l oz weight so that made things a little tricky.

My oven is fan forced which I put on to warm while I put the ingredients together which took me longer than I thought so by the time the cake was ready to go in the oven was very hot!

Too hot in fact cos even though I turned it down to lower than the advised temperature it got a little scorched on the top only half way through the cooking time.

Goodness this was not going well.

I juggled the time to allow the centre to cook and covered the top with some greaseproof or baking paper to stop it burning completely.

Amazingly it turned out fine - not as good as my sister (she is a cake queen) but good enough to present to the table.

Served with homemade custard it was woofed down in no time!

Next time will be better.








4 comments:

  1. It looks good (well, what's left of it anyway) -I bet it would be good made with all pears, hmmm, must try a pear cake. Love the scales, forgot that you had those. Is it possible to replace the weights individually?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really good. I don't have any apricot preserves, but I do have cantaloupe preserves which I think will work too.
    I love your flour tin, is that how you purchase your flour?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love apple cake and home made custard!

    I make double the custard and let it cool . then let it cook down. Pop it in the ice-cream maker with some chocolate chips and hey presto no effort Chocolate chip ice-cream !

    You've made me want to make apple pie now !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer - will have to investigate purchasing more weights - may have to keep my eye open when scouring secondhand/charity shops, unless someone has an odd 1oz weight they are not using?

    Tracey - oooh cantaloupe preserve, can't say I have ever tasted that one! I am sure any jam would work equally well. My flour tins were purchased in 1998, a Limited Edition by White Wings Flour Company celebrating 100 years of bringing flour to Australians. My goodness how time flys (sorry about the pun) Red for self-raising and blue for plain flour. I couldn't resist them.

    Vanessa - wow ice-cream what an idea!

    ReplyDelete