Thursday, 24 November 2011

Cauliflower fritters

 I am planning an Italian themed luncheon and part of my antipasto platter I intend to include "fritelli di cavolfiore" or cauliflower fritters. So I gave these a trial run the other weekend.  They are very simple, but simply morish.  They can be made with most left over vegetables but I stuck to cauli and followed the recipe from "My Cousin Rosa's" book by Rosa Mitchell. The recipe makes 20 and are cooked in no time.
1/2 large cauliflower
300g self-raising flour
100g grated parmesan cheese
1 garlic clove crushed
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
3 eggs lightly beaten
olive oil for shallow frying.





Break up the cauliflower into small pieces.
Add to a pot of boiling salted water until soft.
Drain and cool in a bowl.
Mix together flour, cheese, garlic, parsley and salt and pepper.  Add lightly beaten eggs and mix.  If this looks/feels too dry add a little water to bring it together.  Mine was just right.
 Heat enough oil  to cover the bottom of a pan over a medium heat. when hot  add tablespoons of mixture.
Take care not to overcrowd.
Cook until golden, turn over and flatten with a fork, turn and cook the other side until cooked through to the centre.






Serve hot or at room temperature as pre-dinner snack
They were a hit with the neighbours next door (my daughter is a vegetarian).  I had a couple cold the next day but I have to say they are best eaten at least warm - which means I can prepare beforehand but will have to be cooked and served straight away. Anyone wanting to hide vegetables in food for children these could be a good foil.

8 comments:

  1. These look so good and I can't wait to try them. I need to see about growing cauliflower as that is something we haven't tried.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMm Thsi is one of my favourite ways to eat cauliflower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cauliflower fritters are very common among Chinese vegetarian restaurants here in Malaysia. They fried them pretty much the same way as you but they cut the cauliflower lengthwise including the stems. In their menu, they call it vegetarian prawns. They usually serve them with sweet sour spicy chilli sauce:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the sound of these - perhaps a certain someone will actually eat cauliflower then!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cauliflower these would be a great change from the way I normally cook it. I like Quay Po Cooks idea of serving them with chilli sauce. GG

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've tagged you for the Food Bloggers Unplugged started by Susan from A Little Bit of Heaven on a Plate - hope you can pass it on!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Id love to try this...fritters of any kind have my name all over them!

    ReplyDelete