Thursday, 15 December 2011

Coffee Shortbread

These silver studded stars came to work with me and went in a flash!
My daughter arrived on Sunday night after demonstrating these coffee shortbreads at a party.  She unpacked all her tupperware gear and we threw together this quick and easy shortbread in a few minutes.


Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups plain flour,
1/4 cup caster sugar
1/4 cup rice flour
250g butter (room temperature)
1tbs instant coffee
2tsp hot water

5 tbs icing sugar and warm water to mix


Sift flour into a bowl and add sugar and rice flour.  Add chopped butter 
Dissolve the coffee in hot water and set to one side
Mix the dry ingredients and butter together - I used my hand but you could use a spatula
 
Add the coffee - if it is too wet add a little rice flour so it can be turned out on to the bench top

 Add more flour so the dough does not stick

 Roll out (not too thin) cut out stars 
place on baking tray and cook in a low oven 120 deg for 45 mins 

 When they cooled I dribbled a little icing and added the silver studs  


 I kept a few plain ones for me!




They packed up very nicely in my lovely Christmas tin and toddled off to work. 
A Merry Christmas treat for everyone in the office. 
They loved them.

4 comments:

  1. Coffee in shortbread. i had never thought of it, but why not - sounds lovely and easy to make too. May have to make them in the future.

    Lucky work mates to be tucking into some starry delights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh nice. I have some cookie dough in the freezer I really ought to take out and make some for work colleagues. Nice idea about the coffee! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes work friends were surprised to get a little treat on their desks for morning tea. I should have used cocoa instead of coffee and then I could have entered the "I should cocoa" competition. Still got time I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes work friends were surprised to get a little treat on their desks for morning tea. I should have used cocoa instead of coffee and then I could have entered the "I should cocoa" competition. Still got time I suppose.

    ReplyDelete