Monday, 19 December 2011

Orange Pastry for Mince Pies



 The wreath is on the door the tree is up and some of the house is decorated and the orange pastry for my best ever mince pies is wrapped and in the fridge ready to be made tomorrow night! This recipe is from Josceline Dimbleby's Christmas Book that I bought in Sainsbury's in Oxted UK back in 1987 and I use it every year.




 This is enough pastry for 24 pies

500g plain flour
175g icing or caster sugar
375g butter
finely grated rind and juice of 1 large orange





 Sift the flour and sugar into a mixing bowl - I love my Donna Hay sifter
 Cut the butter into small pieces and stir into flour
 Rub butter into flour until mixture resembles breadcrumbs


Stir in the grated orange rind then using a knife stir in the orange juice 






Gather up the dough and pat into a ball, 
wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes or more before using.

All ready now to just roll out and add the secret ingredient to the mincemeat. 

I feel so much better now I have all this done.









6 comments:

  1. I love the idea of an orange pastry. I remember my husband's grandmother always making mincement every year.
    The shortbread cookies look so pretty and thank you for the recipe as I would love to try them.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wreath looks great - I'm going to be making mince pies tomorrow, I think it's about time I made these orange flavoured pies and I too have had the book since 1987? You would know because you bought it for me. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vanessa thank you but not a patch on yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracey the pastry is melt in your mouth and when I make the pies there is a little extra added to the mincemeat. You should have a look at Vanessa's homemade mincemeat it looks glorious but too late for my pies this year I am afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen - thanks I love the simple colours of this wreath. Can't believe you have not tried making those pies yet - get cooking - you will love them.

    ReplyDelete