Monday, 6 February 2012

Baked Fish Nuggets



This morning my daughter who lives next door brought in some Flathead Tails that she had defrosted but was not going to be able to cook today, so I didn't have to think about was was for tea, this was it. 

 I hate the smell of fried food, especially fish in the house so I decided to bake them.  

I have recently discovered a book on my bookshelf
Apples for Jam by Tessa Kiros
and found this recipe in it - perfect for my Tails - Baked Fish Fillets

It's a very simple recipe for so much reward!

1/4 cup plain flour
3/4 cup breadcrumbs
2 small eggs
1 tbsp chopped parsley
500g fresh fish fillets chopped into chunks
3-4 tbsp olive oil
lemon wedges and salt to serve

Preheat oven to 210C (415F gas 6-7)
spread flour on a flatish plate and breadcrumbs on another
whisk the eggs and parsley and pinch of salt together in a bowl.
Put the fish into the flour, then dip in egg, then in the breadcrumbs, to coat thoroughly.
Put fish on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil turn and drizzle on the other side.
Bake in the oven for 10mins, turn and bake for a further 5mins or until fish is golden and crisp.

Serve sprinkled with salt and lemon wedges.  If you are not a real fish fan these are perfect. Perfect for me, and perfect bite size pieces for kids!

3 comments:

  1. So what do flathead tails look like before being cooked? As you know I'm not really a "fish" person but these look great (cooked) - might try something like this with haddock, what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think any fish that is thick enough and holds its shape when cooked would be equally good.

      Delete
  2. Jen I think you would like these (sorry forgot to take a photo of the fish in its uncooked state) - they are long thin strips of white sweet succulent fish - not at all fishy if you know what I mean! I thought baking fish would not be as pungent the next day - I was wrong the house is very stinky this morning - I have had open all the doors and get the vanilla incense sticks out and light them - very 70's!

    ReplyDelete