Sunday, 26 February 2012

Classic Salad Dressing - simply PERFECT!




I am on the "Perfect" roll at the moment and this salad dressing is just that - simple but perfect!

After soaring degrees in Melbourne over the last few days all we have done is swim in the pool and eat cold food!

Tonight we had rain, glorious rain, and a cool change blew threw, we opened up the house and took great delight in the southerly breeze.

All we wanted was steak and salad - when I went to the fridge we had run out of dressing - nothing for it but to whip some up and this Classic Vinaigrette from the Australian Women's Weekly "The Complete Book of Modern Classics".  It is sooooo good it makes you wonder why you even bother with "bought" dressings.



So I thought I would share - Prep time 5 mins - makes 2/3 cup:


1/3 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 teaspoon djon mustard
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Place all ingredients in a screw top jar and shake to your heart's content - voila - salad dressing! Decant into an appropriate receptacle. Perfect in my mind.


 Threw together a simple salad of lettuce, (oops run out of lettuce - white cabbage shredded very finely came to the party) homegrown tomatoes (courtesy of next door neighbours - so in season and so sweet), cucumber, basil and mint, pour over the dressing and mix in a bowl.  Serve with rare steak and chilli caramelised onions.  PERFECT!






12 comments:

  1. You are right. Sometimes the simplest is the best, good ingredients are key. This sound like a classic dressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jude, it was just what the doctor ordered.

      Delete
  2. It's always good to have a jar of homemade salad dressing in the fridge. I put dijon in my salad dressing too. I've heard the summer in Melbourne has been really hot but meanwhile, here in Sydney, it's been disgraceful. Also...I'm not sure if you're aware, but when you comment on my blog, your URL doesn't come up for some reason. Not sure if the problem is with you or with me but thought I'd better mention it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments will have a look into the URL issue. It could well be me - being the novice!

      Delete
  3. Mmm, I think I'll make a jar of this and keep it in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't forget to take in out a little time before you want to use it as refrigeration makes it get a little thick. Enjoy.

      Delete
  4. I've been meaning to say - not sure what has happened with your blog but for the past week or so I have to reduce it in order to see the whole page (if you know what I mean).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few strange things have been happening since our national internet outage with Telstra last week - will have to look into it. Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete
  5. I love this dressing. I leave out the sugar, but other than that follow it exactly. I am so envious of your tomatoes and am looking forward to our season!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am slowly getting the urge to eat salads again...but considering it's snowing right now, it is a slow process for sure. You are getting me all inspired for spring, I love this dressing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, welcome - yes salad is probably not on the top of your list at the moment. This is a good standby dressing to have in the fridge for when the weather warms up!

      Delete