Sunday, 25 March 2012

Coconut Macaroons


Macaroons NOT Macarons


I have to admit when I look at a recipe - if the list of ingredients is too long it tends to put me off.  Equally if a recipe uses lots of eggs and then only the yolks or the whites are included I feel this is a waste and like to use the whole egg if possible.

So when I was thinking about taking part in the AlphaBakes Challenge for the letter "M" this month I thought these coconut Macaroons would be wonderful - few ingredients and only uses two egg whites.

The trouble was I had gotten the whole thing confused I needed an ingredient starting with the letter "M" not a recipe with "M" in the title.  Anyway I decided to make them anyway and they turned out great.

This simple little treat comes from Margaret Fulton's "Book of Mixer and Blender Cooking" that she launched in Australia back in 1982 - a handy little "all colour" supermarket book that was convenient to carry around with you while you shopped. It has sat on my bookshelf for a long time - I remember it was very well used back in the 80's and now when I look at some of the recipes they take on a "retro" feel.


Ingredients 
2 egg whites
2/3 cup caster sugar
12/3 cups desiccated coconut
rice paper (I used plain baking/greaseproof paper)
5 glace cherries quartered

Top Tip: Don't have the oven too hot and if yours is fan forced they will cook much quicker mine were quite brown after only 20mins and I took them out.

Whisk the egg whites on high speed until just stiff. (I used my little old hand held mixer - I was feeling in a retro mood)
Whisk in the sugar
Mix in the coconut on medium speed
Place heaped teaspoonfuls of the mixture on a baking tray lined with the rice/greaseproof paper
Top each with a glace cherry piece 

Bake in a preheated moderate oven 160C (325F) for 30mins or less depending on your oven.
Leave on the baking tray until cold then tear off the paper.  

Makes 18 to 20 (mine made 19!)

They were lovely and crisp but chewy - the man loved them! 

Even though I had misunderstood the challenge I thought I would send in the recipe anyway to Ros or is it Caroline?!

20 comments:

  1. I love macaroons. The coconut gives such great flavour and texture. These are a wonderful snack and it's always to hard to stop at just one! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - but just as you say too easy to keep popping in the mouth.

      Delete
  2. i adore these... much prefer them to macarons any day and they are so simple to make... yours look divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dom, I don't seem to be patient enough for macaron making - but these macaroons are simplicity itself - right up my alley!

      Delete
  3. Sorry if it wasn't clear - you didn't misunderstand at all! The idea behind alphabakes is either an ingredient or a recipe or a type of bake beginning with the magic letter - so this month we've had things involving mint and mango but also macarons, muffins and meringue. Yours are the first macaroons though, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caroline thanks for clarifying, so glad I continued!

      Delete
  4. Coconut macaron is my hubby's favorite & he loves them a bit chewy too! These macarons look tasty & a nice touch with glace cherries topping! Great entry for AlphaBakes! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband's too as it turns out. Glace cherries gave a little retro touch.

      Delete
  5. Ooooh! They look so lovely, taking me right back to childhood, delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It always seemed strange to me that two completely different cakes could have such a similar name! Your macaroons look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jen, they didn't last 5 minutes! Its funny what a little "o" can do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deliciuos! :)
    Greetings from Poland ✿ܓ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for dropping by - hope to see you again.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for sending this over to AlphaBakes. As Caroline has explained these are definitely within the rules of AlphaBakes. I am hosting this month and the letter is "B" so I hope you will join in again :) I hate wasting eggs either or ingredients for that matter so try to make something with the whole egg if possible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Proof that simple is best...Growing up I would choose a macaroon over an Oeo any day.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Velva - hope you come by again.

      Delete
  11. I am liek that too about recipes, though I'm a it more lenient about curries because often the long list of ingredients is justified by very simple steps!

    the coconut macaroons look wonderful, though I'm such a fan of coconut, I was sold on just one half of the title ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so agree with you about long lists of ingredients in recipes, such a turn off! I have had coconut macaroons on my 'to do' list forever, now you've tempted me to finally get to them!

    ReplyDelete