Friday, 2 March 2012

Olive Crusted Veal with Feta Mash - Yumo!




Albeit I am still a novice at this challenge thing - I am up for it again at Belleau Kitchen random recipes.


 I do as I am told, so counted along to 17 and there poking out was Donna Hay's "Seasons"  - totally in the wrong place squeezed between my two Kylie Kwongs.


Here was the omen (or maybe divine intervention from above) and I took it down excitedly. I love Donna! This "Seasons" is quite a big book - beautifully photographed in very much my style - casual but stylish, photos that make you want to cook what's on the page.  Seasonal food grouped into spring, summer, autumn and winter sections, presented on what feels like recycled paper, that is not afraid of greasy hands - totally comfortable that you could not spoil it.

So scan the ingredients - they look good.  The man is bound to like this, I thought. (It's so much better when the effort is appreciated, don't you think). But all he said was "chops and mash?" "Emm not fussed about mashed potatoes" and walked away.

Ingredients

3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1/3 chopped green olives
2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
50g butter melted

sea salt and cracked pepper
4 x 125g veal cutlets (no veal at the supermarket settled for lovely small lamb ones)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

For the feta mash
1 kg sebago (starchy) potatoes, peeled and chopped
3/4 cup of milk
    150g feta crumbled
    1/2 cup chopped Kalamata olives
    1/4 cup olive oil
    Sea salt and cracked pepper

Get all your ingredients weighed and sorted then preheat the oven to 200C (390F).


Add melted butter to the crumb mix
Mash
Put potatoes into cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 20mins or until potatoes are tender when tested with fork.  Drain and mash until smooth. Add milk, oil stir to combine. Stir in crumbled feta, Kalamata olives, salt and pepper to taste and keep warm.  

Breadcrumbs
Combine breadcrumbs, olives, parsley, butter, salt and pepper in a bowl. 
Grease an oven tray lightly
Brush chops with mustard and press into the crumb mixture.


Roast for 12 -15 mins or until golden. Serve with mash - this is enough for 4.

Whip the mash with wooden spoon


 
lovely little trimmed lamb cutlets
       
Olive crusted lamb with feta mash








I put the plate on the table - no comment - started to eat - no comment - then he said " This is absolutely sensational, a wonderful unusual blend of flavours, the mash is gorgeous, the crumbed coating crispy, just how I like it."  I was very happy.  "This was such a good meal for a Friday night - sets the scene for the weekend" he said.  Looks like its going to be a good one! So nice for the effort to be appreciated.



A couple of bottles from the cellar went very well with dinner




26 comments:

  1. oh my WORD... you are so quick off the mark this month (like last month I think I remember!!..) how could anyone not love mash... and it looks like you've got a convert with this amazing looking dish... I love you shelf of cookbooks, so many books the same as mine... brilliant brilliant entry!... thanks so much for being so punctual! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dom,
      Its my new years resolution - no procrastination.

      Delete
  2. I am hungry now looking at the screen and it is way too early for dinner yet! Have a lovely weekend:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne, have a great weekend too - give it a try if you have time. You won't be disappointed. Donna's book is worth having a look at too.

      Delete
  3. I'm inspired - I wonder whether it would have tasted any better with veal? I (strangely) have an aversion to buying veal! Don't mind eating it when I'm out, but having to buy it raw reminds me too much of what it actually is. I can't work out why I'm not vegetarian really - except that I could never give up bacon! Just finished dinner - but I feel my mouth watering now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I agree with you - I do hesitate at veal too and I never buy rabbit (probably too much like eating a pet!). Try the mash if nothing else - I have never put milk and olive oil in mash but it makes it so silky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. It certainly was. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  6. A lovely recipe, I love Donna Hay and haven't seen that book. A lovely entry to Random Recipes. I'm looking forward to joining in this time too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna has a lovely magazine too - I love to drool my way through it. Thank you for commenting and looking forward to seeing your entries.

      Delete
  7. This looks great, how nice to be appreciated. I haven't done my random pick yet. I want a mopping nun for my bookcase where did you get her? GG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for having a look at Donna's recipe - she puts together some lovely flavours. My kitchen nun has been with me for many many years and bought her in a little suburban Melbourne china shop- I haven't seen anything like her since.

      Delete
  8. a great recipe. Looks delicious. I love Donna Hay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Working Mummy - It was a sensational dinner and something I will make again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have that cookbook too and yes, it's a good one. But I haven't tried that veal cutlet recipe but I'm inspired too. I'm so glad the meal was a big success. It looks really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try it if you get the chance. Since I have taken this book down off my shelf it has stayed down and have cooked some other recipes just as good.

      Delete
  11. That looks so delectable. How gratifying to make such a wonderful dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good will definitely make it again.

      Delete
  12. Sorry I'm so late in commenting, this is lovely. I have the Donna Hay magazine App on my iPad, and I'm really enjoying readingbit. (though I am envious of you all having a lovely, warm Christmas!) Jude x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jude, no need to be sorry, glad to see you come by. This is a great recipe, I was surprised it turned out so well.

      Delete
  13. this looks gorgeous! you did perfect for the challenge! i wish i could do it this month, but I hardly have 17 cookbooks to choose from!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that could be a problem - but at least you will be able to collect all the recipes of this months challenge to try for yourself.

      Delete
  14. This looks delicious and I love your cookery books. Your book stand looks like a music sheet stand. My daughter would always put ours on her music stand and the stand would always fall. I have a surprise for you come by my site.

    http://www.cakesandteacups.com/2012/01/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes my music sheet stand works perfectly in the kitchen. Thanks for the award - I will pass it on.

      Delete
  15. The feta mash sounds great! Never thought of that before. It would go great with lamb as well I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by James - the flavours all worked so well together. Hope to see you again.

      Delete