Tuesday, 29 May 2012

Lamb Cutlets in Mushroom and Artichoke Sauce

or Cotellettes d'Agneau a l'Italienne


 This is the first recipe in Eating with Emperors and is one of the courses from the royal wedding menu of Princess Beatrice of the UK (Queen Victoria's youngest daughter) to Prince Henry Maurice of Battenberg (on 23 July 1885).

I have never been very successful cooking fresh artichokes. I tried Stephanie Alexander's hearts in red wine ......that went in the bin! And what a lot of trouble they are - all that peeling to end up with a little handful of hearts. More went in the compost!

So when I saw this recipe (with tinned artichokes)  that I was entering in Random Recipes - First and Last (hosted by Dom at Belleau Kitchen) I thought I would give them another try. And maybe the tinned ones would be better.....  Maybe.

Ingredients

8 lamb cutlets
250gms mushrooms sliced
8 marinated artichoke hearts - rinsed
4 shallots, chopped
2 tablespoons oregano
1 clove garlic
21/2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper

Method


Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small saucepan and saute shallots, garlic and mushrooms
Add salt and pepper and rinsed artichokes
Reduce heat, cover and cook for 4 minutes stirring occassionally.
Heat the rest of the oil and fry the chops sprinkled on each side with oregano, until the tails are cooked but still pink and tender.
Serve the cutlets on a plate surrounded by the artichoke and mushroom sauce.





I was keen to use my new ricer and so I also cooked some mashed potatoes.
It looked lovely served up on the plate.  Now for the taste test........ the cutlets were perfect, and the sauce nice but I think I can live without artichokes even tinned ones.



 This dish was one of twenty two offered at the wedding breakfast hosted by Queen Victoria for Princess Beatrice and Prince Henry at Osbourne House, Isle of Wight 1885.





14 comments:

  1. wowzers... a double whammy!... thank you so much! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I couldn't decide which one First or Last - only thing for it both!

      Delete
  2. This looks amazing---and I couldn't agree more about the fresh artichokes, they aren't worth the bother! What fun to be recreating these old recipes, I'd love to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am waiting for someone somewhere to surprise me with delicious artichokes. Then I will be converted I am sure.

      Delete
  3. I always thought the same but last summer cooked the most perfect artichokes, I posted them on my blog and I'll find the link and pass it on to you.

    What a fascinating book, I love learning about the background of recipes.

    If you can get Breton artichokes preserved in brine, they are worth a try, I use them in salads and fish dishes, superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jude, sort me out that recipe. Not sure I have seen Breton artichokes but will keep an eye out.

      Delete
  4. I too, have had no success with fresh artichokes. Isn't it strange how they call it a wedding breakfast yet it's actually a lunch. I've never been able to work out why that is. Great dish. I'd like to try this royal wedding recipe xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie, they probably have to start in the morning to get through all the dishes!!!

      Delete
  5. Oh two entries for the challenge you have been busy . I haven't cooked artichokes before...there always seems to be so much to throw away on them. I do love the bottle antipasti ones you can get though. Glad the cutlets worked well.

    I've been wanting to get a potato ricer for a while now...it looks fun to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have a small one that is perfect for two and it was a bit fiddly to use any more than two or three I think it would be too much trouble. Having said that I think the "riced" potato would be really good fried with an egg for breakfast!

      Delete
  6. You need an awful lot of patience to eat these artichokes! Not sure that I have enough although fortunately the husband has patience aplenty for something like this (not much for other things though!!).

    Did you find the potato ricer to be worth the effort? I must admit that for four of us it is much quicker and less messy and just as lovely to mash potatoes with a masher than go to all the bother of using the ricer!

    The book looks amazing. I had a look on Amazon for it - but at £50 it can remain on my wishlist until Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a bit of an effort, but if you wanted the potato other than mash it looks very pretty as it ribbons out. I did like my mash with added oil (see http://magnoliaverandah.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/olive-crusted-veal-with-feta-mash-yumo.html).
      The book is lovely - when I looked on Book Depository Uk it was only $48 and postage free to Australia so maybe have a look at some other online book stores

      Delete
  7. I do love all the ingredients in this recipe. Artichokes are not too hard. I just lob off the stalk and steam them till one of the outer leaves comes off easily. tinned artichoke hearts are nice too though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will definitely have to persevere with artichokes I think - I am obviously not doing it right!

      Delete