Thursday, 24 May 2012

Petal Tea-Pastry









Back on 19 October 1982 my mother bought me a biscuit gun! She packaged it up and sent it out to Australia just in case we couldn't get them here.  I know this is the exact date because she wrote it on the box along with a note highlighting the biscuit recipe she had used on the back of the box.

For a while it was well used and then after several house moves it somehow never got unpacked.   Last year our shed was demolished and numerous tea chests were unpacked for the first time in ages and the "Super Biscuit Maker" made a come back!

It is retro cream and brown and the little metal disc shapes fit into the end of the gun to create the pattern.  These discs have hung about in the "3rd drawer" next to the cooker, sad and alone for years,  miraculously managing to escape being thrown out by the man! He has a tendency for throwing things away.  It must be very difficult for a minimalist sharing a house with a hoarder, poor love!
He loved these though - just as well as this recipe made dozens!
 !
Ingredients
250g butter
250g sugar
2 eggs
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
500g plain flour
Method
Cream butter and sugar together
Add eggs and flavouring
Sieve in flour and mix the remaining ingredients a little at a time until a soft dough is achieved.

Form the biscuits on a chilled baking tray. 
Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200C (400F) for 8-10 mins.
They cook very quickly so keep an eye on them.

These pretty little flowers looked perfect to enter into Lavender and Lovage and What Kate Baked Tea Time Treats for May's Floral Theme hosted by Karen this month.

20 comments:

  1. They are so pretty, I've seen these cake guns and never been sure, but now I'm going to consider one for autumn baking.
    My son recieved his Anzac biscuits and loved them, he's requested more, thank you so much for sharing such a fabulous recipe. Jude x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased the anzac biscuits were a "hit". If you find a biscuit gun let Jennifer know - she's on the look for one too.

      Delete
  2. They are so pretty. I love simple recipe like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - especially when they look and taste so good.

      Delete
  3. I think they are now called a cookie press. How special that your mom wrote the date and a recipe on the box for you :) These cookies look so pretty, and I am sure they are also quite delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must get yourself a cookie press if you haven't already they make very impressive professional looking biscuits, simple and perfect every time.

      Delete
  4. Genius! I love it. What an excellent contraption. I need it. Love those floral biscuits!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know, I know. Yes you need one, they turn out so perfectly, apart from the few I scorched!

      Delete
  5. Why didn't she ever buy me one? I shall have to hunt one out - I assume they are still available for sale. The biscuits look very pretty - you should have done a selection of shapes! Next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had RSI in my hand by the time I had finished as this amount made soooo many ( what a twit I didn't think to change the shape! ) Next time I will half the ingredients - having said that you could eat 5 or 6 easily in one sitting!!! Amiee above thinks they are now called a cookie press (but that could be the American name).

      Delete
  6. What a retro treasure. I have never heard of a cookie gun. And it sure does make great looking cookies! What great shapes. I think I would love one of these xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should look out for one - they make the cook look so professional with such little effort - apart from the fact one arm does have bigger muscles than the other now!

      Delete
  7. I love the name biscuit-gun!!! I've always just called mine the cookie press (I've gone through 3 of these dear little things--and I only use it at Christmas time for "trees" and "poinsettias"!!) As I'm looking at your yummies--I'm wondering why only at Christmas??? Think I need to pull mine out for a bit of springtime cookie-ing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about only cooking some things at Christmas - I mostly only make shortbread at Christmas and I nearly always give it away as gifts and mince pies which go in a flash regardless how many I make - maybe I need to make these for Christmas in July themed dinners too. Thank you for popping by, hope to see you again.

      Delete
  8. I LOVE them, and also the biscuit gun type thingie too! JUST a brilliant entry for Tea Time Treats, thanks so much for entering them! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen you had some great entries.

      Delete
  9. These are so lovely & the biscuit gun is absolutely a wonderful treasure! I would love to have one too! Never thought of it before! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kit - it seems everyone wants a biscuit gun. Keep a look out they must be out there somewhere just rebranded.

      Delete
  10. These are so cute! I've never tried a biscuit gun but I think I might now! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh do they are such good fun - it'll give you muscles!

      Delete