Wednesday, 9 May 2012

White Bean and Ricotta Dip



The weather in Melbourne has become decidedly chilly of late, Autumn has set in and the summery clothes have been packed away. But this gives us an excuse to light the fire pit in the garden and have friends around for a casual dinner outside, warming our bottoms by the fire.

And so it was the other weekend, the man cooked his famous chilli (recipe to follow later) but we needed something to nibble while we had a couple of drinks first. 


How often do we really cook other bloggers recipes, I have slowly realised how handy this can be - I remembered reading recently a couple of great blogs one was over at Hotly Spiced and the other Glamourous Glutton both about dips. 

I had a tin of cannelini beans in the back of the cupboard and dragged it out to whip up something simple and hopefully impressive or at least edible. So adapting the recipe from Hotly Spiced I made this  lovely little dip that turned out quite good, even if I do say so myself (and my guests wanted the recipe!) So I thought I would share with anyone else wanting a quick dip.

Ingredients


  • 1 can cannelini beans rinsed and drained
  • 1  garlic clove
  • handful fresh thyme
  • splash of olive oil
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (or enough to make a good consistency)
  • 2 tablespoons ricotta cheese (or enough to make a good consistency)
  • cracked pepper 
Method

  •  Heat oil in a pan
  • Add beans, garlic, herbs and cook gently until garlic is fragrant
  •  Transfer to a food processor, add lemon juice and blend
  • Add olive oil in a slow steady stream and continue processing until all is combined
  • Pour into a bowl and whip in the ricotta
  • Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper and a squeeze of lemon
I would have loved to have served this with some lovely pinwheel pastries from Glamorous Glutton but I will have to make these next time. 

7 comments:

  1. Great recipe - and with the exception of ricotta - all the ingredients are usually to hand - not difficult to pop out for a tub of ricotta though! Thanks Den.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Hotly Spiced Dip is made without ricotta so if you are desperate it can be made without but the ricotta cheese made it lovely and creamy.

      Delete
  2. Your dip looks great! I love the idea of adding the ricotta, it would make the dip very creamy. The white bean, thyme and lemon are lovely together, aren't they and isn't it so easy to make. Thanks for mentioning Hotly Spiced on your blog! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so love the idea of making my own dip rather than the manufactured variety. Thanks for the inspiration.

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for mentioning Glamorous Glutton on your blog. Your dip looks great, really tasty and creamy. GG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. GG thank you for leading me down the right path.

      Delete