Monday, 11 June 2012

Viennese Crescent Biscuits


Viennese Crescent Biscuits

Being moulded on the benchtop
Ready for the oven

They look like false teeth lined up on the tray!
We are off to Daylesford for the Queens Birthday long weekend to visit friends.

 I do love the country in the winter,  donning the Hunter boots and duffle coat!

Daylesford is a pretty little town nestled in Victoria' Spa Region a stone's throw from the Macedon Ranges and only about an hour's drive from Melbourne.

As usual I over committed myself and left my run a bit late for making this delicious Viennese Crescents to take with us for our hosts, dredged in icing sugar, they were still warm as we were rushing out the door. Thank goodness they were quick and easy to make.

Ingredients


2 cups plain flour
250g butter melted
1 cup (125g) ground almond meal
1/2 cup (90g) sifted icing sugar
pinch salt
1 teaspoon orange essence
plus 300g extra sifted icing sugar for dredging



Method

    • Preheat oven to 180C Combine all dry ingredients - flour, meal, sugar, salt
    • Add essence and melted butter and mix with a spoon.
    • Divide mixture into small balls (at least 24) and then roll each ball into a sausage and shape into a crescent .
    • Place on ungreased baking paper on a tray and bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until just brown
    • Place some of the extra icing sugar on a sheet of tin foil
    • Place the hot crescents on the foil and dust both sides with icing sugar
    • Cool completely and store in an airtight container


    We saved a couple for ourselves and the man said they were the best biscuits he had had for a long time!


    Thought these would be perfect for this month's June challenge at AlphaBakes hosted by The More than Ocassional Baker and Caroline Makes the challenge letter being "V" I presume there will be lots of these.





    4 comments:

    1. Ooh lovely, they sound like biscuits I've bought in the Turkish Food Shop, I shall have to make some myself.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. People have been asking me if they are Greek, so I suppose they are all variations of the same biscuit!They are good - I had to stop myself eating them!

        Delete
    2. Yes there have been a few Viennese bakes but the more the better as these are one of my favourites! I've not seen them in crescents before - very cute. Thanks for joining in AlphaBakes! :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Glad to be part of the challenge this month. V quite a tricky letter!

        Delete