Thursday, 26 July 2012

Baked Walnut Tart

Walnut Tart and runny cream!
I came home from work the other day and the man had been browsing through my latest purchase (rescued from the Library Book Sale for $1) - The Utterly Unrefined Cookbook. It was left suspiciously open on this Baked Walnut Tart. 
 It's a book that includes recipes donated by a variety of chefs and cooks in support of a Breast Cancer Campaign published in 2002. The common denominator  - using unrefined sugar. 



How could I resist. This is a recipe donated by Phil Vickery - I have to admit I have not come across this particular cook before but those in the UK may be familiar.  This was listed under hot puddings, but must say that this was OK warm but much better cold from the fridge the following day. There were no instructions how to make the blind baked pastry case so you could either use shop bought or homemade. I chose to make my own 9''diameter  x 1.1/4''deep case.  

So here are the ingredients for the filing:
4 tablespoons apricot jam
2 eggs, separated
2 tablespoons rum 
(this made it quite alcoholic, so much so I had to re-read the recipe after I had tasted it to see if it should have been teaspoons - no I had read it correctly, so my advice is less is probably better, maybe 1 tablespoons.  Although it did make it taste quite Christmassy!)
125g/4 1/2oz unrefined golden caster sugar - I only had normal caster sugar
2 pinches of cream of tartar
125g walnut pieces roughly chopped
50g melted butter

Method

Heat oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4
Put the egg yolks, rum and half the sugar in a mixing bowl, whisk well, until pale and creamy.
Whisk the eggs whites and cream of tartar (to prevent the whites splitting)
Add the rest of the sugar to the whites until whisk until firm and glossy.
Spoon jam into the base of the cooked flan case.
Fold the egg whites, chopped walnuts and melted butter carefully into the egg yolks and then spoon the mixture into the pastry case. 
Bake in a preheated oven until set - about 30 minutes.
Remove and cool before cutting, I preferred this very cold from the fridge rather than warm as it was a little more runny than I would have liked.
The tart will rise and collapse slightly but this is normal.  Serve with cream or icecream.
Before going into the oven
straight from the oven

Don't expect this to be a very firm tart, but I loved it cold.
I intended this to make it into AlfaBakes challenge this month - theme is W  hosted by Ros from The More Than Occasional Baker and Caroline from Caroline Makes.

But I think I am too late - that will teach me to post the recipe straight after cooking!



24 comments:

  1. I love all the ingredient used to make the filling. Must be hell of delicious tart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound really tasty, and as you say would be great at Christmas.
    I wanted to tell you my son was home on leave and he said that the Anzac biscuits were the best thing I sent him, he wants me to bake some more when I'm back in EnglNd and send them out in September. Thank you for sharing such a splendid recipe, and isn't it wonderful that the biscuits are still cheering boys serving abroad.
    Jude x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a wonderful recommendation - isn't it lovely that the old tried and true recipes still bring such comfort. Thank you for sharing that with me. Hope your son stays safe.

      Delete
  3. That is a seriously delicious looking tart and a great dessert for the cooler months. I would like to try making this xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tthis would have been perfect for Christmas in July!

      Delete
  4. You're not too late for Alphabakes - I haven't posted the round-up yet so I can add your entry! It looks lovely too, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A delicious looking tart! Lovely treat indeed! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kit. The home made pastry really made it special.

      Delete
  6. Yes, whenever I taste rum or whiskey in a dessert it always reminds me of Christmas. Great looking walnut tart! I think this would be wonderful with a little ice cream on the side xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even custard would be good to complete that Christmas feeling. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  7. Lovely looking tart with lots of booze! Thanks for entering this to AlphaBakes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Goodness - you had me at the very first image - I didn't need to read any further (although i did of course!) I just knew that anyone who makes a tart that looks like that - and with such heavenly looking custard on the side - deserves to be followed religiously! Absolutely delighted to have 'found' you, via your lovely comments on Vanessa 'Goddess on a Budget' Kimble's blog.
    Now off to purchase these ingredients!
    bets wishes,
    Paula xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and welcome. Hope your tart turns out great.

      Delete
  9. Hi I am dropping by via AlphaBakes. This tart looks so delicious and rich. I would love to have some :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you came by Mich - thank you for your lovely comments.

      Delete
  10. Oh I have this book! I haven't got round to using it much but I remember there being a fantastic chocolate loaf recipe in it?!
    The tart looks delicious, but I agree, sounds like something best cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must have a look for that chocolate loaf!

      Delete
  11. I will try this but usually walnuts leave my tongue feeling decidedly odd, which is why I generally steer well clear, pineapple does the same thing! I wonder if anyone else has that problem. I remember one year in Cyprus eating about half a dozen preserved walnuts to be polite to our hostess, you can imagine what my mouth felt like - walnuts are preserved using cloves - too bad I didn't have a toothache to fix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could probably substitute any nuts in this tart really. Don't think preserved walnuts would be my thing either especially using cloves.

      Delete
  12. I really like the sound of this as I'm a big fan of walnuts. It sounds an unusual recipe as there is no flour in it, but also sounds as though it would taste delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for popping by - hope you get around to making this tart, its quite unusual. Hope to see you again.

    ReplyDelete