Thursday, 23 August 2012

Peanut Brownies



Peanut Brownies

On the weekend we lit the fire pit in the garden, fired up the BBQ and opened up the bungalow at the end of the garden and used the kitchenette for setting out the food and drinks (instead of trudging backwards and forwards through the house to the kitchen).  We stocked the TV in the bedsit with enough suitable dvds to keep the little ones occupied when they had had enough running around the garden in the dark. It worked well.

Fire pit designed and made by Birthday Boy
BBQ kept us warm too
Two of my children were born a week apart a year apart and so over the years, even though they are a boy and a girl they have had combined birthday parties and so this year we had a double birthday celebration. Everyone brought some speciality for the BBQ (which I will post later) and so it was my job to provide the "something sweet" to take carriage of the candles.
Something easy (always my preference) but something that could be popped in the mouth with not too much trouble in the great outdoors.

Yummy homemade hamburgers
Cousins

Brownies seemed like the perfect solution - and who doesn't love a little brownie sprinkled with icing sugar small enough to be gone in two bites (or even one!)

Once again dear old Margaret Fulton was trusted (but had to make some alteration to cooking times to take into account a powerful fan forced oven).

Ingredients
1/2 cup cocoa powder
125g butter melted
1 1/4 cups caster sugar
3 eggs beaten
1 cup self raising flour sifted
125g unsalted peanuts chopped
Mix thoroughly

Putting them all together
Melt the butter in the microwave and stir in the cocoa
Put the rest of the dry ingredients into a bowl and add the eggs and butter mixture
Beat together thoroughly for at least three minutes

Scrape the bowl clean



Pour the mixture into a lined and greased slice/lamington tin 28x18 cm
Bake in a moderate preheated oven 180C for 30-40 mins or until firm depending on your oven
Mine were more cooked than I would have liked and so next time I am only going to cook them for 20-
25mins.This made 24 lovely little bites - cut while still in the tin and transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Birthday boy with his Brownies
The Birthday Girl got my Orange Halva Cake except I used lemons instead. Lemons are so plentiful at the moment and I think I like it better than the orange version.

Make a wish!













24 comments:

  1. This looks like a perfect birthday party Magnolia.

    As do the brownies and lemon halva cake. I'd like to have a go at both recipes...hopefully with bette results than my pasta attempt! I must re-read your pasta post again and give it another go.

    Happy baking.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Baking to you too! Sometimes the pasta needs a few attempts to get it right. But the peanut brownies and the halva cake are great first off.

      Delete
  2. Oh yum! So heavenly & moist ! Great birthday treat indeed.PB is always a winner but I must say that I don't make that many recipes with coz PB doesn't last long in my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kit thank you for your lovely comments. My peanut brownies where gone the minute I turned around - I was lucky to get 1!

      Delete
  3. just divine... what heavenly and evocative pictures... I love the fire pit too, I REALLY want one of those here in belleau... love the brownies too, there really is NOTHING better in the world that chocolate and peanuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fire pit is just the best - the man and I sat for some hours after everyone had taken their children home on the stone surround with our backs to the glowing embers, red in one hand brownie in the other - perfect.

      Delete
  4. What a great party, I love family gatherings, the brownies are fab.

    And the fire pit, wow! I have fire pit envy, I'd love one here in Brittany and another in Richmond. I just had to pin it when I saw it the other day!

    Have a great weekend. Jude x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should post "How to make a fire pit"? thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  5. How lovely that your children share their birthdays. And I just love your fire pit - I want one! Love the brownies and Margaret Fulton is such a treasure xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely going to post "Making a Fire Pit". Thanks for popping by.

      Delete
  6. I'm not sure what I want more - a fire pit or a chocolate peanut brownie - not sure if we really have winters mild enough for a fire pit though - sigh ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate peanut brownie is certainly more affordable and satisfies the immediate needs - quick to make and even quicker to eat!

      Delete
  7. Oh lovely post! Your family look delightful. Very handsome birthday boy too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Vanessa for your lovely comments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pictures and a wonderful birthday celebration! the brownies sound wonderful. I love chocolate and peanut ones so will have to try these out x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping by and the brownies tasted as good as they looked. Who can beat chocolate and peanuts.

      Delete
  10. Mmmmm - they look absolutely delicious and what a great combination!
    Paula x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paula, nice of you to pop by and thanks for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  11. Yum...these look so good and the peanuts must add a great texture to the brownies...it looks like everyone was enjoying them and lovely for a birthday too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect finger food, thanks for coming by

      Delete
  12. These look gorgeous. I can never resist a brownie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither - mores the pity as the waistline doesn't like them. Thank you for your lovely comment.

      Delete