Thursday, 31 January 2013

Fasting with Aeroplane Jelly

When I arrived in Australia in 1976 I remember Aeroplane Jelly ads on the TV some of which were still in black and white. They had the ditty and music that went along with the product that all the kids seemed to know - good advertising eh. Over the years I must have made tons of jelly for my own kids growing up, but  I haven't had jelly for years but when I do taste it the memories of childhood floods back - mum would always make fruit and jelly for "afters", or her version of trifle with sponge in the bottom of a glass bowl set in jelly, fruit and cream.  However, I have eaten a fair bit of jelly in the last 24 hours due to the fact of a fasting period in preparation for an unmentionable medical procedure!

I turned to the tried and true Aeroplane jelly for my fasting sessions still with the little plane Bertie on the front of the pack. There is also a little snippet of history on the box too. Bertie the aeroplane is named  after aeroplane lover, Bert Appleroth, who created the delicious Aeroplane Jelly back in 1927.





The little song is printed on the back. ( I have to admit I had a little sing to myself as I boiled the water).


So my lunch, dinner and supper took no time to make with a little boiling water, popped in the fridge and ready for consumption. I have enjoyed it so much I have stocked my cupboard with these little boxes of crystals to pull out and make when the little ones come for a sleep over.



8 comments:

  1. Are you following the 5:2 Diet too? I have been on it for several months now! (I will be featured very soon on the Sydney Times too!) I adore jelly and often eat it on a fast day, but I DO love the name of this brand! Karen xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope everything is ok. Your jelly looks fabulous, I love the retro packaging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jude - all well. Isn't the retro packaging fun?

      Delete
  3. I arrived in Australia in 1977! I'm a huge fan of Aeroplane jelly. It's the only brand I buy. I seem to always have packets of it in my pantry as my little guy just loves it for dessert with ice cream. And I'll have a few spoonfuls too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't remember the song until I saw the words on the back of the packet - had a little sing to myself (in my head). Glad all is well - forgot to say in my email. What's the significance of jelly when fasting? I always thought nil by mouth meant just that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three days of graduated fasting, no carbs grains or food containing fibre on the first day, second day Jelly and fruit juice or clear broth. Third day nil by mouth!

      Delete