Friday, 26 April 2013

ANZAC Slice

ANZAC Slice - Slouch Hat - Rosemary
We have just celebrated another ANZAC Day and in true form the biscuits were made in abundance-
See last year's post for the recipe here.  The house always smells delicious on these mornings.

The weather was nearly perfect for the Dawn Service this year, albeit it was cold, the march to the Shrine of Remembrance in Melbourne was swamped in sunshine.  The TV was full of diggers telling stories both sad and happy and scenes of Services held around the world in Turkey and France. This is a day when we pause to remember those we lost and those who are still serving.

My day started with a phone call from two of my grandsons who wanted to know what time  I would be going around to their place to make Anzac Biscuits..... they wanted a little help  ( I hope that tradition continues). 

My own biscuits were made and taken as a gift for a friend along with some rosemary from the garden.
Traditionally sprigs of rosemary are worn on the lapel on ANZAC Day. Rosemary has particular significance for Australians, as it is found growing wild on the Gallipoli peninsula.  Its is said that rosemary improves the memory and so fits well with the response at the end of services - 
LEST WE FORGET!
A local coffee shop had been selling "Anzac Slice", so having given away all my biscuits  I thought I would have a go at a slice.  I used exactly the same ingredients as for the biscuits and pressed the mixture firmly into a shallow slice tin lined with greaseproof paper.

Mark the slice/bites lightly with a knife and bake in a low oven (150C) for 20 mins or until golden brown.  Cut the slice into pieces and leave to cool on a rack (it is really difficult not to eat them while still gooey!).

This mixture makes 9 big slices or 18 bite size pieces either are ideal for breakfast on the run or lunch boxes (maybe reduce the amount of sugar).
Click here for recipe

This is also a day to remember my grandmother who died on ANZAC Day 25th April 2003 aged 96 and even though she had never tasted my Anzac Biscuits I am sure she would have loved them.


8 comments:

  1. Your grandmother had a great innings. I love the look of your slice. What a great variation on a wonderful biscuit xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to take it to work to feed the girls there otherwise I wouldn't have stopped eating it - it was so yummy and I really like it thick and chewy.

      Delete
  2. What a great post, I will try this and make some for my son, he loved the Anzac biscuits last year and even though he is now safely home I'm sure he will enjoy these too.
    We often say Rosemary for rememberence here, it goes back to Ophelia who says it in Hamlet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all these connection whether Christian or pagan - didn't know it was from Hamlet.

      Delete
  3. The slice is a good idea - I'm ashamed to say that the 25th passed me by this year, usually I would have gone to the cemetery at the weekend - I shall plan a trip soon - better late than never!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can't really pass us by with it being on ANZAC Day - can you believe she has been gone 10 years! Make this slice if you like thick chewy bars - I could stop eating them - not good for the waistline I'm afraid.

      Delete
  4. A lovely recipe, and a wonderful post. Great to see traditions passing through the generations and lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for your lovely comments. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete