Wednesday, 24 July 2013

Roast Chicken stuffed with Baby Grapefruit

Roast chicken is the easiest roast to cook (I think). You need to do very little to it and more often than not, it turns out perfect, in little over an hour (depending on size) and is very economical. Donna Hay has a lovely little book encompassing everything you need to know about cooking chicken, perfect for the beginner, and other recipes for the more adventurous.
Not that I am a beginner, I have watched the preparation and cooking of chicken from about the age of 5 or 6 .  Its surprising what you can learn when your chief job is stirring the gravy for years. My mum cooked roast chicken often,  (that and a roast shoulder of lamb) and with leftovers a beautiful chicken pie. Now that all my own children have left home, I still cook a whole chicken, the leftovers  turn into two or three
meals for two, if I am lucky.
Tonight I roasted a simple chicken, it sat neatly on four onion halves in the oven, that caramelised nicely underneath. A small homegrown grapefruit starred imploringly from the fruit bowl, so I cut it into quarters and stuffed it into the cavity to give a beautiful citrus flavour to the dish.
Smear the top of the chicken with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper and pop it in the oven at 180C (fan forced) and walk away for an hour.
After an hour it smelt cooked, I took it out of the oven and tested it by placing a screwer into the thickest part, under the leg, to see if the juices ran clear, it was still a little pink.   It needed a little longer. 20 minutes later it was perfect. A 1.4kg (3lb) chicken will take approximately an hour.
The man likes his stuffing crispy, rather than soft from the inside of the chicken, so we roast little balls separately on a tray. The chicken can be cut into several portions for different meals, the legs (maryland) were perfect for tonight, leaving the breast and wings etc. for another meal. Serve with roasted onions and grapefruit to squeeze over the chicken.











Stuffing balls
If you can't be bothered to make your own stuffing...
1 packet of supermarket stuffing mix (follow instructions on the packet)
add some chopped peanuts,  currents and
chilli flakes (optional)
make into balls and pop in the oven on a tray for the last 20 minutes of cooking, approximately.

The man said " I think roast chicken is my favourite!"

Wrap up leftovers in tin foil and hide so that no one picks at it for supper!!





Roast chicken with caramelised onions, grapefruit and stuffing balls.

8 comments:

  1. what a divine and lovely idea... love citrus with chicken, yours looks GLORIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might like this - I salivate over your chicken recipes too.

      Delete
  2. I've often used lemon, but never grapefruit, what a great idea. I think nothing beats a chicken, you have one or two meals and then wonderful stock from the bones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have any lemons (must get that tree planted) but the fruit bowl was full of grapefruit and squeezed over the chicken worked just as well. Mind you I love grapefruit.

      Delete
  3. Just like your man said, roast chicken is also my favourite. And I love how you made this with your own produce. I've done chicken with lemon but not with grapefruit but I can imagine it would be very similar. And caramelised onions are just delicious xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think you can beat chicken for its simplicity and versatility.

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of using grapefruit in the chicken, something I've never thought about but now must try! :) It looks so fresh and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - just an alternative to lemons.

      Delete