Friday, 23 August 2013

Banana Breakfast Ring


I have been watching the inaugural Great Australian Bake Off, sadly we are now nearing the end.  This  TV show has ignited a baking revival in all sorts of nooks and crannies, even at the man's workplace, where lovely bakes have been turning up for morning teas. Somehow (I will kill that man!) I have been entered into a Banana Cake Challenge! I am very fond of banana cake, but have not actually made one myself.  Even worse, is the fact that a couple of his colleagues claim to bake the best ever banana cakes!
So the first cake arrived at work last week baked by the  Operations Manager Tony who hails from “The Motherland” and is a dab hand at Banana Cake....... (his recipe to follow)....this received a reserved mark of 8/10, (a touch harsh I thought). Sadly not a crumb was brought home for me to taste.
I started to trawl the books for a recipe.  My goodness the pressure was on.  Unfortunately, I wasn't very enthused by any I found, I was looking for something special, but decided to give Nigella's Banana Breakfast Ring a go for starters. Its simple, requiring no equipment to speak of, just a bowl and fork, with ingredients I had to hand, my sort of cooking.

Ingredients
450g (3 medium) bananas
60ml olive oil
3 eggs lightly beaten
zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
200g caster sugar
325g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

How to do it.....
Preheat oven to 180C (gas mark 4) 160C fan forced
Oil a 24cm/ 1.5 litre cake ring (I floured mine too - I am always nervous it won't turn out)
Mash bananas in a bowl,
Add the oil,
Add beaten eggs, lemon juice and zest,
Whisk everything together
Sift the flour, baking powder and bicarb of soda together and fold into mixture
Pour into oiled tin and bake for 30mins or until a skewer comes out clean when tested.
Let the ring sit for about 5-10 minutes before turning out.

This cake makes 8-10 slices.



This is not the "show stopper" I was looking for. 
So a couple of other recipes will need to be sourced and tested. 

 
Click here for details
It is however, a lovely little plain cake, nice and light in colour and texture, 
with a nice crumb - to coin a Bake Off phrase.   Easy to prepare, quick to cook -nothing fancy. It can be drizzled with maple syrup or honey.


Nigella says it is a perfect breakfast slice and I would have to agree with that.  Gently banana-ish and not too sweet.  Smeared with butter, perfect with a cup of tea.



8 comments:

  1. I think it looks lovely. I have a nice and very simple banana bread recipe if you're looking. I have to agree banana bread is fabulous for breakfast and I keep mine in the fridge for that extra chilled effect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have checked out all your recipes Dom and will be baking my way through them!

      Delete
  2. I do like the sound of this breakfast banana cake. What a great start to the day. I can imagine this being wonderful served while still warm and drizzled with butter and maple syrup xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to give it away - I couldn't stop eating it!

      Delete
  3. Looks like a ten out of ten to me. What a fun challenge to take to work. I'm rooting for your banana bed to win.
    debx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems everywhere I look now there are banana cake recipes, working my way through them to come up with a little beauty to win this challenge.

      Delete
  4. If the competition is still on and you want a 10/10 then look no further than the Books for Cooks Book No. 8 page 96 Chocolate Banana Cake - let me know if you haven't got that book and I'll make it and blog it. I love banana cake and chocolate cake and this one covers both loves all in one, I'd never make any other since I discovered this. The one you made looks good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rushed to my bookshelf and yes I have no.8 - on your recommendation I will most certainly give this a go. Love the idea of Chocolate and Banana. Think I will be making a couple of cakes.....oooh the waistline!

      Delete