Wednesday, 14 August 2013

Bolognaise Sauce (Meat Sauce for Spaghetti)

Perennial Basil
When grandchildren come to visit I let them choose what they would like to eat for dinner. I could put money on it everytime, a favourite with them all is Spaghetti Bolagnaise, and they choose it without fail.  I am guaranteed to have happy full children as they all scrape the plates and ask for seconds.  However a couple of them do not like some ingredients I put in my sauce - like onions (essential)and fresh basil. They become forensic detectives picking out the smallest pieces that cannot be detected with the naked eye! Rather than leave anything out, this week I made my vegetables and herbs invisible.  All were wizzed to within an inch of their lives before being added to the minced meat.



Ingredients
500g minced beef
2 onions
1 tin chopped tomato
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 clove garlic
splash of worcester sauce
1 oxo cube (beef stock cube)
basil leaves (fresh or dried)
1/2 cup water (or red wine for adults) more if necessary to prevent the sauce from drying out.

I don't use any added salt or sugar as the tinned tomotoes and stock cube have enough for childrens palates.






What to do..........

Put meat into a pot/pan and brown the meat stirring ocassionally for 10 mins
In a blender/food processor wiz the onions, garlic and basil
Add the tinned tomatoes and blend
Pour this mixture on to the browing meat in the pan
Add all other ingredients and simmer for approximately 45 mins.



not an onion in sight








Do not let the mixture dry out. Add extra water if required. 
This sauce can be made ahead of time and freezes well.
Serves 4.







homemade spaghetti see here

Joining this month with Karen from Lavender and Lovage featuring herbs.


16 comments:

  1. yay, look at you with the spaghetti! I love bolognaise and it's great to see your recipe which is so different from mine... looks glorious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never ceases to amaze me how many different ways we can cook the same dish. All good!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely recipe, oddly although a favourite of mine my own children don't enjoy good old 'spag bol'. I'll try your recipe when we have some adult company! They'll love the addition of red wine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a shame - it is a good standby in my house, I can even whip portions out of the freezer at a moments notice!

      Delete
  3. I'm super-impressed with your homemade spaghetti. That's a great idea to whizz the evil veggies. This meal is a favourite with my kids too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to a Jamie Oliver Pasta making classes in the UK a couple of years ago and I haven't looked back since - thanks for the compliment.

      Delete
  4. Love the look of the spaghetti very, very impressive! The Glams like spaghetti bolognaise too and like you, I could always rely on it as a staple. But we've now got to the - ? is better than yours she uses ..... Fill in the gaps. However it's still a staple here. GG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes have been through that too. Not necessary about my cooking but all sorts of other things too including my driving!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good way to smuggle some veggies past the kids! You just can't beat a family favourite like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do so love recipes that require no thinking, ones that you can whip up, without a second thought and everyone loves. Its so rewarding.

      Delete
  7. Well, no wonder your grandkids always request that dinner. I would too! Looks delicious. And I'm so impressed that you make your own pasta. I've only tried that once and it wasn't a huge success. You've inspired me to give it another try sometime soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The key is not to worry about it, learn when you have released enough gluten (with the poke test - very scientic!) salt the water and don't overcook - it cooks so quickly. Let me know how yours turns out.

      Delete
  8. Ooh I'd love to have a go at making fresh pasta. I must have a go one quiet afternoon (if there is such a thing)
    This kind of pasta sauce is a family favourite...I always used to hide lots of healthy things in it when Hannah was little. Now I don't need to hide them anymore but she still loves this sauce. I make a meat free version for me at the same time.

    You asked about a photo in Oxford, last time you commented on my blog. It's the by the head of the river. This resteraunt is on the opposite side of the river...I'm not sure what it's called it's changed hands a few times. I've tried to google but can't find it so will check the name next time I walk past.

    Have a lovely weekend.
    debx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give the pasta a go - so much better than the supermarket variety.

      Delete
  9. You CANNOT beat a good Bolognaise Sauce, and yours looks just fabulous! And as you say it is a GREAT way to add the dreaded veggies for the children too! A GREAT recipe, post and entry for cooking with herbs thanks! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, even though I don't always get to enter I always enjoy the round-ups.

      Delete