Tuesday, 10 September 2013

Golden Syrup Upside Down Banana Cake


I am engaged in a Banana Cake Challenge at the moment, which is quite a lovely excuse to make a variety of taste samplers, and I have quite a few on my list to try,  of which this is No. 2. Tonight presented 3 ripe bananas in the fruit bowl and I was in the mood for making cake.  This is an adapted recipe from Belleau Kitchen - and Dom has a few he recommends (which will all be tried in good time).

Ingredients

8oz self raising flour (had to get out my imperial scales for this)
4oz soft brown sugar
4oz margarine or butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 ripe bananas mashed
2 eggs whisked

Topping
3 tablespoons golden syrup (Dom used salted caramel - must try it with this too, but I didn't have any)
1 sliced banana

What to do....

In a bowl mix together flour and sugar.
Rub in the marg/butter with fingers
Sprinkle on the cinnamon
Add the mashed bananas and whisked eggs
Beat the mixture with a wooden spoon until well combined

Prepare your loaf tin - line with greaseproof paper
Dom suggest cutting the required amount of paper and then screwing it up in a ball, unfold and you will find that the paper lines the tin easily. Hey presto it worked perfect, what a great tip.

Warm the syrup and pour into the bottom of the tin
On top place the sliced banana
Pour the cake mixture on top

Bake for 35-40mins at 170C or until cooked (test with a skewer, if it comes out clean its cooked)
Let the cake stand in the tin for 5mins before turning out onto a plate.
Gently, slowly, carefully peel off the greaseproof paper.




It sliced perfectly while still warm

It just begged for a nice cup of tea!
You might also like to try Banana Cake No. 1  

10 comments:

  1. Wow! This looks beautiful and delicious. And I happen to have very ripe bananas in my fruit bowl this morning. Thanks for the great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was lovely with the golden syrup topping, will try it again with salted caramel topping. Enjoy - let me know how yours turns out.

      Delete
  2. Well I thought the last one was a winner, but this looks even better. Syrup and bananas...yummy. I wouldn't have thought to make an upside-down-banana cake. I usually make a pineapple one when there's too much fresh pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take credit for it I am afraid it is a Belleau Kitchen recipe - but hey it was a winner in my house and I think it got some accolades at work too!

      Delete
  3. That looks seriously good and I just love the look of the topping. What a great way to eat banana cake xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The topping was very impressive, for so little effort.

      Delete
  4. ooh this is serious comfort food. I love the idea of golden syrup to make it extra caramelised but salted caramel sounds good too! yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A slice of this definitely gets you through the afternoon.

      Delete
  5. Banana cake has just got even better. The topping sends it into orbit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in love with banana cake at the moment.

      Delete