Wednesday, 2 October 2013

Damper - Australian Bushman's Bread


I have been meaning to make damper for a while, admiring the simple recipe on the back of the flour bag for ages. Tonight was the night and spurred on by Kate at whatkatebaked I got my act into gear. Tea Time Challenge this month is bread.


Ingredients
500g Wallaby's Bakers Flour
20g Baking Powder
10g Milk Powder
5g salt
15g Canola Oil (I used vegetable oil)
310g water

What to do....
Combine oil and water
Sift and mix all dry ingredients together
Add the liquids and knead into a dough.
Turn out onto the bench and knead until smooth
Dust with flour and bake in a conventional oven for 20 minutes at 210C

Tap the bottom of the loaf and if it sounds hollow it is cooked. 
I made mine plain but you can add cheese, bacon, herbs for savoury or fruit, sugar or cinnamon for a sweet version.




9 comments:

  1. That golden crust looks so tempting! Thanks for visiting my guest post on vintage plates at Vanessa Kimbell's blog too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice of you to pop by, hope to see you again. Enjoyed your guest post on Vanessa's blog - will you be doing that again?

      Delete
  2. Your damper looks really good and I'd be eating it warm, straight from the oven with a lovely spread of butter. My Alfie made damper recently but not with such an extensive list of ingredients. I think there were only three in his damper. He had to make it as part of an award he was going for at Scouts. It turned out very well xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree this is probably the "posh" version. I can't see you having much more than flour water and salt in the bush! Well done Alfie, I was very happy with mine too.

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love the name of this delicious sounding loaf! Thank you for entering tea time treats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so yum - couldn't resist a slice straight from the oven - is there anything better? with butter of course!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet that smelt amazing when it was cooking. I must get back into making my spelt bread. You can't beat home made.

    Love the sound of the wallaby flour...
    debx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always wondered how this was made and it looks lovely too

    ReplyDelete