Tuesday, 28 January 2014

Fennel & Coconut Tart

Cutting rosemary from the garden for the tart in my lovely apron - thank you Santa!
Much to my dismay I received no cookbooks from Santa! I myself gave quite a few as gifts and wish I had scrutinised each one more thoroughly before they were wrapped and tied with a bow! Or even kept one or two for myself (I have succumbed to that before now). One stray however did not arrive until after Christmas (in fact I was starting to wonder if it would arrive at all).  Then yesterday the postman left me a card to pick up a parcel at the post office and yes I breathed a sigh of relief that my poor daughter in law would now receive her present. But before the wrapping paper engulfed it I randomly opened it (as one does) to see if it was up to expectations and suitability (vegetarian), and was happy that it complied on both counts especially when it revealed this simple tart first up.
I have to admit I am a relative newcomer to the qualities of fennel.  I did not grow up with it in my cuisine and on first tasting did not warm to its aniseed flavour.  It has grown on me over the years and I think I have come to quite like it now.


This tart has the unexpected qualities of being gluten and dairy free


Tart Case
65g (1/2 cup rice flour)
45g (1/3 cup almond flour)
2 tablespoons potato or tapioca or cornflour
1/2 teaspoon seas salt
3 tablespoons coconut oil or Ghee
3 tablespoons iced water

Filling
120ml (1/2 cup) coconut milk
2 eggs beaten
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
2 sprigs rosemary, leaves picked and chopped
sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1 fennel bulb, very thinly sliced

Makes 1 large 20cm (8in) tart or 4 small 10cm (4in)tarts

Tart Case, sift together the flours, starch and salt in a bowl.
Add coconut oil and iced water and use hand to work the dry ingredients towards the centre until a dough forms.  If it feels crumbly add a little more water (drop by drop). 
Gather into a ball wrap in clingfilm and leave in the fridge for at least 30mins.
Filling - whisk the coconut milk, eggs, nutmeg, rosemary, salt and pepper in a bowl until combined.
Preheat oven 190C (375F Gas 5)
Roll out pastry lightly and press into a tart tin or plate (gave up on the rolling and just pressed it).
Trim the edges and prick bottom to prevent rising as it bakes.
Pour the coconut/egg mix into the tart case and place fennel slices on top.  Cook in the middle of the oven for about 35 mins or until the tart is golden and crisp and the egg mix has set.
Dough can be made a day ahead of time if need be.


Joining in with Dom's Belleau Kitchen Random Recipes for January (by the skin of my teeth).
Hope I get to taste more of these eclectic recipes from The Green Kitchen when my daughter-in-law cooks them.

22 comments:

  1. I too was quite a late uptaker of fennel but I have loved it ever since. I adore it's mellow aniseed flavour and how wonderfully soft it cooks... it is amazing with chicken and fish, i'm glad you've found it and like it... this tart sounds immense!... and looks so pretty, I love it. Thanks so much for the brilliant entry x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am never too adventurous with fennel but will give it a go with chicken or fish.

      Delete
  2. As you've seen from my latest blog post, I too have just discovered how well fennel works in many recipes! I would never have put it in a tart, though - I bet it's amazing with the coconut. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its quite unusual with the coconut not entirely sure if this should be savoury it could easily be adapted to a dessert.

      Delete
  3. This tart looks very interesting, I rarely eat fennel as Mr Glam isn't a fan but I love the subtlety of the aniseed flavour. I'm not sure I would have parted with what looks like avery interesting cook book. GG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looked like a great book adapted from their blog of the same name, a little bit extreme maybe for some, but I liked the look of it. Looking forward to seeing more of it.

      Delete
  4. You look very professional in your apron. I love the look of your tart and how fabulous it is that it's GF and DF. I'm a big fan of fennel! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my new apron has been worn to death and it is very long so that hubby can wear it too. This tart was just lovely the pastry crumbly and beautiful. If you like fennel you will like this one.

      Delete
  5. Fennel was a slow burn with me too, but now it's one of my favourites. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fennel has many medicinal qualities too I believe. Even more reason to squeeze into the diet (undetected for those newcomers) and this tart was very subtle.

      Delete
  6. That tart looks delicious, very pretty (as does your apron, you too) I love the mixture of flours, and that if I used the coconut oil instead of ghee, it would be vegan. So I could use this recipe on one of my one day a week vegan days. Thanks for sharing with us. I wish that you could share just a little bit of sunshine too though.It's a typically grey, rainy January day here. It looks lovely in your garden...I hope it's not too hot. Enjoy every bit of it.
    Debbyx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debby. I used coconut oil in the pastry - it did make it special. This tart still has eggs - as I am neither vegan or even vegetarian would this still count? I had leftovers cold when I got home from work - it went down a treat!

      Delete
  7. I looked for that book when I was back in Melbourne for Christmas but couldn't find it - will have to order it on line now if you're looking forward to some more recipes from it. Fennel & coconut is certainly an interesting combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure it can also be purchased on line from their blog of the same name. Fennel and coconut - interesting but lovely.

      Delete
  8. It sounds like a very unusual tart but looks delicious. I've never had a fennel tart before but I would happily try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither and I was pleasantly surprised.

      Delete
  9. This tart sounds fascinating, never thought of that combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite an unusual book, lots of innovative flavours mixed together but they seem to work, like this one.

      Delete
  10. The tart looks amazing. What an unusual combination of flavors. I hope you get to taste lots more from the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pastry was delicious, something I will make again. Can't wait to be invited to taste more.

      Delete
  11. I love the combination of coconut and fennel. Never had it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time I have tried this combo but will not be the last and the pastry was particularly good.

      Delete