Saturday, 8 February 2014

Lamb Curry



Not really the night for a curry  - 41C still at 4.00pm and 31C over night! But there you have it.  Swim in the pool all day airconditioning on all night. But in India in the heat and humidity the people eat curry.  Go figure?

This is a great curry,  don't know where it came from but the spices are great.

We cooked lamb, but you can use chicken or anything you fancy. The spices are everything.  In the past I have mixed and  matched, used bought jars, all sorts of varieties of mixes but have really come to love this one as a basic curry, not too hot but with a definite kick, and definitely not yellow!

Spice Ingredients
prepared first and can be pre-prepared and kept in a jar to save time
1 tablespoon cumin ( I used seeds) you can use powder
1 teaspoon coriander (I used seeds) you can use powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek
2 cardamons crushed (I used 1/2 teaspoon powder)
1-2 teaspoon hot chilli powder (less or more to your taste)
1 1/2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
1 tablespoon sugar
salt and pepper to taste

I toasted the cumin and coriander seeds lightly - they smelt amazing, then ground them in a mortar and pestle ( see below).

Combine all spice ingredients in a bowl.

Additional ingredients
500g meat of choice chopped (Lamb or chicken)
2 tablespoons oil, ghee
handful of nuts
2 onions finely chopped
2 carrots finely sliced
6 florets of cauliflower finely sliced
2 tins of diced tomato
Sour cream and handful of nuts to serve

What to do…….

If using cumin and coriander seeds dry toast lightly in a pot until they start to pop and jump, swirling constantly so that they don't burn.
Grind warm seeds in a mortar and pestle to a powder - the aroma is amazing.
Mix all spices, coconut and sugar in a bowl to combine thoroughly
Saute 1 onion in oil in a large pan
add spice mix - toss to combine
add meat and fry quickly on high heat for a couple of minutes,
Lower the heat and add carrot, cauliflower, chopped onion and tinned tomatoes
Simmer on low for 1 hour until meat is tender and vegetables have broken down and become part of the sauce.
Just before serving throw in the nuts
Serve with rice and dollop with sour cream.






22 comments:

  1. Yum! This sounds delicious, and as it's much cooler in Blighty at the moment, I could really do with a good curry! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie, so nice to see you back. Go on give this a go you will love it.

      Delete
  2. Love that I could prepare the spices in advance for a curry like this - and then it seems pretty simple! I bet it's lovely with the nuts and coconut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always mean to prepare a batch of spices in advance to make the cooking job easy….somehow I never seem to get around to it!

      Delete
  3. Well, we are having a cozy cold spell here in Los Angeles, so this is perfect! Love all those spices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smell of the preparation of the spice let alone the eating is really evoking.

      Delete
  4. well you can send it down here with pleasure, we have just the weather for a glorious bowl of spicy curry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I am in the UK you are on buddy.

      Delete
  5. I've lost the recipe for my favourite lamb curry, but is read echoes in yours. Looks like we'll be eating a delicious supper this week. (Envying you the heat right now!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a go Jude, maybe with a little tweaking you may find what you have lost?

      Delete
  6. Wow! What a hot day. Yes, it's always amazed me that the Indians can eat such hot food in such hot conditions. Your lamb curry looks wonderful xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Jennifer seems to echo the reasons for hot and spicy food. I have been watching Rick Stein lately and he is having a hell of a hot sweaty time of cooking Indian food. Have you seen it?

      Delete
  7. I think it's something to do with eating spicy food makes you sweat - and sweating is the body's way of cooling itself ! Of course I could be quite wrong.
    Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen you would really like it given a little tweaking with the chilli for the girls. The depth is quite nice and not unnecessary hot. Rick Stein is in India at the moment (on TV down here)and they have quite an opinion on what we call curry - have you seen it?

      Delete
  8. Wow, you are having so hot weather, but then I guess my time is coming soon.
    Jennifer is correct about eating spicy foods to help cool the body, that is why there is so many spicy Indian and South American dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the Mexican and South American foods are really hot! You and Jennifer could be right.

      Delete
  9. Ooh this looks yummy. I love curry but don't have any recipes so will try this some time with chicken. I love the idea of grinding my own spices I have my fathers pestle and mortar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow your fathers mortar and pestle how good is that! The grinding of these spices is quite beautiful……is that the right word? They certainly evoke the senses.

      Delete
  10. I love, love, love curry - thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love curry too…. you are most welcome let me know if it is to your liking… go on give it a go.

      Delete
  11. I always love a curry - even in hot weather. This one sounds lovely and I also like to make my own spice mixes from scratch. I love being able to alter the flavours really easily.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so easy to tweak to your own liking. I love curry too in the hot weather but mostly we go out for it so we don't need to cook!

    ReplyDelete