Thursday, 3 July 2014

Pumpkin Soup


I am dragging myself around the house, off work for a couple of days with a virus (so the doctor said) and a hacking cough, that keeps me awake half the night.  No medication but Panadol 3 times a day and rest!
Its cold outside and is the perfect Melbourne day for soup, given my condition, its all I feel like making.
I am a little partial to pumpkin and with a couple of kilos in the fridge and because it takes such little effort, it was the obvious choice for lunch.
Ingredients
1 kg of pumpkin (I used Kent pumpkin)
1 large onion
Enough water  to cover vegetables + 1 stock cube or homemade stock (which ever is to hand) at least 500ml
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
For the garnish some chopped fresh herbs of choice, a grind of black pepper, a sprinkle of chilli flakes and a retro swirl of cream.

What to do…..
A kilo of pumpkin might sound like a lot but once its peeled, deseeded and chopped up small its the perfect amount for two large hearty bowls.

  • Put the chopped pumpkin in a medium sized pot and cover with a generous amount of water or stock
  • If you are not using stock add a stock cube to the water.
  • Chop onion and add to the pot.
  • Sprinkle on the cinnamon and coriander
  • Bring to the boil and simmer until vegetables are soft and easily mashed.
  • With a stick/hand held wizzer, blend the pumpkin to a smooth consistency in the pot, you can pour this into a blender, but that is more washing up!
  • Don't forget to make a little tent with the tea towel over the stick wiz and the pot to stop any splatter, I hate having to clean pumpkin off the walls!

And its done, ready to serve.
Pour into a bowl or large mug and top with chopped herbs (I had mint and parsley from the garden), cracked black pepper, chilli flakes to boost the immune system and a dribble of cream to make it creamy!
Now that has to make you feel better.

12 comments:

  1. Hi there, I missed you. I keep popping over to see if you are back but sadly not until today. I'm so sorry that you aren't well though. This looks amazing and so hearty I'm sure that it will soon have you up and running again.
    I have a cough drink that I make when I have a bad throat that really seems to help me. You need fresh lemon juice, a little grated ginger, a star anise, honey, cinnamon and a little turmeric plus a crushed garlic clove and hot water. It sounds awful but really seems to help. You may like to add a little tot of something alcoholic too.
    Get well soon.
    debx
    ps I can't wait to see your new kitchen. It sounds amazing so I hope you share some photos with us when you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pumpkin soup is just the best - I love the warming spices you've added, too.
    Get well soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In cold weather there's nothing better than a soup. I do love a warming bowl of soup on a chilly night. Your pumpkin soup looks really good. I do hope you feel better - I've had a cold for two weeks - I was so sick of having a blocked nose I felt like chopping it off xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you recovered! I definitely want to eat more pumpkin, esp in soup, and it's almost in-season. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, nice and comforting soup,
    the photograph is truely seducing me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear. I popped by to see your latest inspiring photo and I discover you've not been well.

    I hope the soup did its magic. It really is a great food for when you are under the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we ADORE pumpkin soup - in fact pumpkin anything! what a delicious looking soup!
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like the ideal soup for when you're not feeling well and want something that's going to help you get better quickly. Hope you are feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you've recovered. This is a perfect comforting soup . Will be harvesting my pumpkins soon & try out this recipe of yours . Thanks for sharing & take care , dear .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor you, it's horrible being kept up with a cough - so very exhausting. This looks like the perfect comfort soup and using seasonal vegetables. GG

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how simple this is, and all those warm spices sounds so enticing, I think I know what I'm making today :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is something magical and delicious about pumpkin and some broth.. it's just extra cozy for a Fall day! YUM!

    ReplyDelete